Friday, February 27, 2009

So I feel like shit.

Today a customer made a cashier cry. This is a cashier that I don't really care for, but when it's us against them(the customers) I'll always choose my co-workers any day.

This guy was really rude, and being verbally abusive, in front of me I heard him say "You be quiet" with a harsh tone.

The circumstances are vague, but they had a disagreement and he proceeded to be very mean, later telling me "yeah, I told her to 'be quiet' because she wouldn't stop rambling".

I told him, that I'd be happy to offer him his money back but that I felt that he was rude to my cashier and she didn't deserve that.

She's very upset because she feels that giving him free food validates his behavior, when all I wanted to do was to get him out of the store quickly.

When we finally involved the store manager the guy wanted MY full name and a business card, like I did something wrong. I'm not too worried, 9 times in 10 nothing comes of these things.

When did we get to the point that a customer can yell at an employee, make her cry, and feel like they're in the right? How am I a bad person for telling someone, honestly that they were rude and wrong?

I feel like I've failed this person, that I should have been there for her in a more effective way. I shouldn't have let her down.
A little while later I talked with her as she was crying and I almost started crying, I wanted to hug her, I just wanted to hold her hand because I felt so bad for her, but I couldn't do anything.

It's interesting how someone I don't even really like can pull such emotions out of me, human beings can be connected sometimes it just takes the right circumstances.