Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm drunk and wanting to talk about music...

And NO ONE commented on my previous post about my new book, so here's a ditty about old music... enjoy, assholes.





I can't tell you how many times I heard this album growing up. If I can give credit to my mother and step-father, it's the credit of introducing me to a lot of good music.

Classic rock, Stones, Journey, Boston, Zeppelin, Clapton(so much Clapton), not so much Pink Floyd, a LOT of The Allman Brothers, The Police, Sammy Hagar(pre and post VanHalen don't hate), CCR, a little Dylan, John Cougar Mellencamp, Tom Petty, The Band, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I could go on and on.

See, I was raised on Rock and Roll. We didn't go to church when I was a kid. We turned on the radio on sunday mornings, and DIDN'T watch tv. It was every fucking sunday, without fail. Pancake breakfast, with OJ and Bacon, rock music.

I heard this Traveling Wilburys record when I was probably 8 or so. What I remember about it was that there was different singers singing throughout the album. Roy Orbison is fucking amazing. I read somewhere that when they were writing theses songs and didn't know who was going to sing the lead, they'd just give it to Roy, because he has such an amazing voice.

Roy Orbison was known for wearing sunglasses all the time too. Turns out, they were prescription, and he wore them partly because he has beady little eyes and used them effectively to hide behind. I always found that interesting.

The song "Congratulations" always struck me. Bob Dylan is great in this song. Something about such a big word in a pop song "Congratulations" really caught my ear.

Of course having George Harrison on anything is impressive. His career post-beatles is probably the most impressive to me, I mean, listen to "All Things Must Pass" a fucking TRIPLE album like six months after the Beatles break up, seriously, amazing!

I think that the Wilburys rival anything that McCartney and Wings did any day, of course George needed Orbison, Petty, and Dylan to do it.

Anyways, I could talk about music all day. Don't get me started on the Allmans or Van Halen...

You see, I was born, I was raised to have Rock and Roll in my blood, it's in my dna.

Why am I shitfaced, living in Naples in my shitty duplex then? I don't know. Do you know anyone who can type better than me after 7 beers?

Someone, validate me, or call me an asshole. Whatever.